Monday, June 7, 2010

Finger Foods book

I was sent Annabel Karmel's "Top 100 Finger Foods" to review.
The subtitle of the book is "100 Recipes for a Healthy, Happy Child".  I don't have kids, but one thing that gravitated me toward this book is that it's finger foods.  Besides being absolutely adorable, they're great at parties!  Baby showers, birthdays, get togethers...you name it, there's a recipe for it.

The premise of the book is that they're recipes that toddlers can feed themselves as well as learn new tastes and textures.  It's also a great way to introduce your toddler to fruits and vegetables by sneaking them into foods they're guaranteed to eat.

Upon looking through the book, a few things stuck out to me as questionable.  
  • There were several of the recipes that fried the foods...seems kind of odd to serve toddlers fried food
  • Several of the recipes didn't seem very "kid-friendly".  I don't know too many toddlers that would eat "Minty Lamb Koftas", "Pressed Sushi" or "Mushroom Pate".
  • Lastly, some of the recipes called for very specific ingredients...some of which I had not heard of: Galia, Taleggio, korma.  Granted she did provide alternatives to these and similar ingredients.
What I did appreciate about the book is that it is an attempt to expand a child's palate beyond the typical chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese.  I think that's SO important for kids to develop a well round palate.  It aggravates me to see people who have grown up being picky eaters because they ate the same things all their life and won't try anything else.

I was sent the book to review but the opinions are all mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment